About Me

My photo
Abilene, Texas, United States
This is the blog where I post my short stories and bits and pieces of novels that are in the works. Family and close friends are always asking me what I write...so here you go!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

This is my beloved, this is my friend...


I wrote one last word and set down the final wedding invitation. Night was falling. Outside the castle was silent, but inside the activity was not even close to ending. Bright lights, endless shining silk and many voices were swirling together in a klaidescope of color and sound. In two weeks my best friend was marrying the man of her dreams. It would be a fairytale wedding. The likes of which all girls dream of; I should know since I had put nearly all of my heart into it to make it perfect for her. I had arranged everything. A castle. Two hundred guests. China silk.

Tonight, as I set down the last handwriten highly embossed card and leaned back in my chair. I could only think of one thing....I hated this wedding. Closing my eyes two silent tears trickled down my cheek. I hated seeing the glow in her eyes and hearing the joy and hope in her voice. She was full of a happiness I knew I could not have. I hated being just the best friend. Needed but not wanted. I wanted to run far away and never return. Being a best friend was not enough and if I didn't release this tension I would die.

There were a dozen more things to do, but I jumped to my feet, tears beginning to flow freely. I stumbled out of my room and down the hall. The old castle buried in the picturesque heart of the Swiss Alps was a cold, stone edifice despite it's warm appearance. My bare feet thudded on the stone flooring as I disappeared down a flight of stairs to the first floor. I burst out into the cool night air. The gardens were full of a dozen workers who were hanging thousands of lights in the arbors and trees. I passed through them until I found a private alcove towards the back of the gardens. Gardens that looked out into the valley below. I crumpled to the earth weeping.

Was I really second best? Would I never have my own desires and significance? Would I always feel forgotten and pitied? It was never about this wedding, it was about my heart. Where ahd he gone? Was I truly not worth pursuing? Why had I been shown something so perfect and lovely, only for it to be torn from my hands? Would I be reminded every day of what I had lost and of what perhaps I never really had? Reminded of only what other would always possess?

Weeping bitterly and deep anguish I suddenly heard a familiar voice. Embarrassed and startled I glanced up. It was my father. His old, dear face staring down at me with concern. What was he doing here?

I jumped up throwing myself in his arms," Daddy?"

He pulled me close," I knew I would find you here," he whispered.

"How? Why ae you here?" I wiped my tears dry against his shirt.

"An old friend sent me," he strangely smiled lifting my face so I would meet his eyes.

I was confused as his fingers wiped a final tear from my cheek.

"Why are you crying, my child?"

I shook my head. It would hurt too deeply to explain.

"You've been living someone you are not," he said after I refused to reply," I am taking you away."

"Daddy, the wedding is in two weeks," I told him, my reaction instant.

He chuckled," They don't need you , you are wanted somewhere else."

"Daddy..." my voice trailed as he grabbed my hand. The garden tipped, then swirled, then disappeared.

"Daddy, don't do this!" I screamed, my voice was lost in the vacuum.

Then we were standing on a road winding through a valley. I know we were far away from the Swiss Alps. My father was still holding my hand. I glanced down and saw our clothes had changed to the flowing robes of a medieval world.

"He's waiting for you," my father nudged me towards the sie of the road.

My tears from only a few minutes before were all gone. What was happening? I was confused? My heart began racing.

"Daddy?"

"I heard your cries all the way through the miles and now through time. You've been through the heartache long enough. It is time."

He smiled the strangest smile," Listen, do you hear it?"

I cocked my head, heart still racing. A voice on the wind began singing. I knew the voice. My breath grew shallow.

"He's waiting," my father whispered in my ear.

I couldn't breathe or think for several minutes. Then suddenly regained conscienceness and spun only to find my father gone.

The voice continued singing. Shaking from head to foot, I stepped towards it. I could already see a garden through the trees.

It couldn't be him. It couldn't be him. My heart continued racing. I slipped between the trees and ducked around a small fountain. The voice was still singing. My hands grew sweaty. I had changed from a broken hearted bridesmaid to nervous, anxious young lover in a matter of only a few minutes.

The garden was huge and very confusing I walked for ten very long minutes listening to the voice singing.

Where was he?

My feet quickened in expectation. I ran headlong into a small alcove only to gasp in surprise when I saw the figure kneeling in the dirt. He rose and our eyes met exactly at the same time. Dirt fell from his knees and my eyes filled with tears.

It was him. The man I loved. The man who had disappeared. The man I thought never loved me.

His eyes drew me in and his gentle quiet smile made my kneeds shake. I instantly wanted to run into his arms.

A new emotion however instantly took me over. Anger. Hurt. Rejection.

"Where have you been?" I accused.

His face softened even further as he dusted dirt from his palms," Everywhere. I am preparing a place for you."

"Why didn't you tell me," I let out a sob.

"I've told you every day you have breathed."

"No..." I shook my head," you disappeared."

"Is that what you think?" he reached out touching my cheek. My heart lept...remembering.

"I never left you, you ran from me. So I have pursued you in absence. Allowing the emptiness draw your heart back to me."

I began weeping. I could not remember this. Surely not. My life had ended the day I woke up and he was gone. Had I already chosen something that took me from his presence?

"You forgot you were a bride." he whispered," You forgot to wait. You covered yourself in shame. It took you from my side. But, you are my bride. I promised you to myself from the day you were born."

I wept harder.

"It can't be true. If it is, it is too late. I am not good enough to be a bride."

His hands slipped down to mine," You are too good for me, beautiful one. Every hurt and rejection you have endured has torn my heart like knife. No more. Your father brought you to me, because you are desperate. Even your shame and disbelief cannot silence your cries.

My head fell against his chest.

"Stay with me," his lips touched my cheek.

I swallowed my tears quieting, realizing with a heavy awareness how real this moment was.

Anger melted in the presence of his gaze. My hands slipped from his and wrapped around waist, pressing myself close to him.

"Say it to me again..." I said.

"You are my bride," he kissed my hair," you belong to me. Forever, and ever and ever."

1 comment: