About Me

My photo
Abilene, Texas, United States
This is the blog where I post my short stories and bits and pieces of novels that are in the works. Family and close friends are always asking me what I write...so here you go!

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Dreams...don't give up

Sometimes I see this little girl running barefoot and carefree down a dirt road, flowers in one hand, skirt waving in the wind. But then most of the time that memory seems so far away, as though it happened to a completely different child. That little girl is now a grown woman. The dirt road has changed to a narrow slippery precipice. And she is hanging by only one hand. Not exactly because of any choice of her own, granted she's made her mistakes, but see, the only way to get to that castle on top of the mountain is to scale the cliff. There is no other way. The castle holds a wealth of glory untold...she cannot turn back, with such a prize within her reach. It is the storehouse of her dreams. The little girl could not have climbed the mountain, but the woman can, even as she struggles with every breath.
But then her glance seems to falter, as though she cannot remember why she is hanging off the cliff. She glances down, tears of fright coming to her eyes as she realizes there is nothing to catch her fall.
Why am I doing this?
The pain, exhaustion and hunger surrounding her weak frame, suddenly take hold, freezing her in doubt. Confusion muddles her mind.
What if there is no castle? No dreams?
Her hand suddenly slips as this doubt takes possession of her. All hope fails...
Then suddenly strong arms surround her...holding her up, carrying her...and she founds herself staring up into the kindest, gentliest, most lovely face she has ever seen...a man's. He looks familiar...but she does not remember where she has seen him.
"Don't look down," he says and she gasps in wonder as he scales the horrid slippery rock with one leap. Then they are both standing on a wide, even cliff face, covered in trees. An open trail appears through a gap in front of her.
Gently the man sets her down.
"Look what you would have missed," he says with a smile, pointing to the turretts of the castle, jutting up from the behind the trees. It is still a long ways off...but surprisingly within sight.
She breathes out a sigh of relief staring at this distant encouraging sight. She had nearly given up...
Then she turns to the man to thank him. But he is gone!
Suddenly she remembers. He was the prince...the one who told her of the castle. Who inspired her dreams!
Of course...
Weeping tears of joy, she looks towards the trees and the distant castle again. Her dreams were within reach once again...


....for those girls who have forgotten their dreams...don't give up, Jesus is always there to catch you. :)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for that post. :) that's really a nd truly very encouraging to me.
    I hope to see you on sunday, too. Maybe we can sit together or something. Gracie has a playday ( a little-kid rodeo) on Sunday afternoon, but I would love to visit with you at church! we need to catch up. So how's college been?
    Hopefully see you tomorrow!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hay girl, did you get my email? I want to hear all about what you have been up to. :) I like your new template, you and Shey are both changing this week... hope to see you soon! amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey have you finished that new Thoene book you told me about a long time ago? Twilight of Courage? Just wondering. Can't wait to read it. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey did you get my message on your phonearlier today? i need to talk to you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Tash, I just read the post even though I had commented on it. :) Was great, and when I am down, I am going to come and read it!!!! I am still waiting on that email, snail mail letter OR a phone call . All three will be grand! :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete